From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:00:47 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Saturday, March 4, 2006

UMASS DARTMOUTH ADVANCES TO NCAAS BY DOWNING CURRY, 3-1

NEW BEDFORD, MA– Despite a long record of success, one thing the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s hockey team had never accomplished was advancing to the NCAA Division III Championships.

The Corsairs scratched that off their to-do list Saturday, jumping out to a 2-0 lead and getting 35 saves from freshman goaltender Jon Dryjowicz-Burek (Ludlow, MA/ Springfield Jr. Falcons) en route to a 3-1 victory over second-seeded Curry in the ECAC Northeast Conference championship game at the Stephen Hetland Memorial Ice Arena Saturday.

Dryjowicz-Burek, who was named to the All-Tournament Team and was chosen as the tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, made 14 saves in the first period, many of them from close range.

The Corsairs got on the board first in the second period, converting a power play when junior forward Kyle McCullough’s (Danvers, MA/Boston Jr. Blackhawks) batted a rebound past Colonel goalie Lenny Mosca at the 5:30 mark. Junior forward Peter Lindner (Parlin, NJ/Christian Brothers Academy) and sophomore forward Jeff Grant (Burlington, MA/Austin Prep) assisted with Nate Robie of Curry was off for hooking.

Freshman forward Chris Shore (West Haven, CT/Winchendon Academy) made it 2-0 at 51 seconds later, blasting a shot high into the net from the left circle. Sophomore forward Jonathan Finn (Warwick, RI/Boston Harborwolves) assisted.

The Colonels halved UMD’s lead at the 11:39 mark. Andrew Broughton fired a shot that deflected into the net. Robie and James Pentecost assisted on the goal, which came with freshman defenseman Francis Gunn (Winthrop, MA/Berkshire Academy) in the penalty box.

Curry pressed in the third, but once again Dryjowicz-Burek was equal to the task. The Colonels lifted Mosca with 1:33 remaining. With two seconds remaining, senior forward Eric Frank (Waltham, MA/Traverse City Enforcers) fired the puck into the empty net, clinching the Corsairs’ first-ever berth in the NCAAs and setting off celebrations on the ice and in the stands at Hetland.

“I was very pleased,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “I thought the most important part of the game was the first period, when we held them off the board and Jon made a number of good saves. I was pleased with our penalty killing. We played a solid game from start to finish, and it’s great to go to the NCAAs for the first time. We’re one of only 10 teams that will be playing next week. Curry played like a defending champion should, they fought us all the way. I’m very proud of our team.”

UMD was out shot by the Colonels, 35-16. Mosca made 13 saves.

In addition to Dryjowicz-Burek, McCullough, Frank and junior defenseman Paul Carr (Springfield, MA/Springfield Cathedral HS) made the All-Tournament Team. Broughton and defenseman Lucas Irwin of Curry joined them.

With the victory, the Corsairs won their 20th consecutive game and extended the longest winning streak in the nation, improving their overall record to 24-4-0 with the victory, and winning for the 21st time in their last 22 games. Curry fell to 16-11-1 overall and saw their season conclude. The Corsairs will return to action when they play in the NCAA Division III Championships, probably Wednesday evening. The NCAA will release the pairings Sunday evening.

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY

BOX SCORE

Curry						0	1	0-1
UMass Dartmouth       			0	2	1-3

 FIRST PERIOD

None

SECOND PERIOD

1, UMD – Kyle McCullough (Peter Lindner, Eric Frank) 5:30 PPG
2, UMD – Chris Shore (Jonathan Finn) 6:21
3, Curry – Andrew Broughton (Nate Robie, James Pentecost) 11:39 PPG

THIRD PERIOD

4, UMD – Eric  Frank 19:58 ENG

SHOTS: CC- 35; UMD -16.
SAVES: CC – Lenny Mosca, 13. UMD –Jon Dryjowicz-Burek, 35.
PENALTIES/MINUTES: CC – 6/12; UMD – 7/14.
POWER-PLAY GOALS/OPPORTUNITIES: CC- 1/6. UMD – 1/5.