From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:23:27 -0600
Actually Tom, my sympathy has always been with the poor opposing fans
who have to listen to The Victors, . . . unless it helps us win the
game.  I think the chorus is very sing-song-ish and there are other
fight songs that are musically more imaginative in that part.  But I'm
afraid my question to the band director about why he makes us look bad
would just be countered with "Because it works!" and I don't know how to
argue with that.

"Varsity, down the field" is not a hockey theme, but it's a recognized
Michigan song that could be used to spell Victors.  I'm not sure it
arouses the freshman defenseman from Saskatoon in the same way.  "Keep
it Simple and Repititious Stupid" is the principle at work here.  Also,
the "Let's Go Blue" ditty could be used, but every college in the
country uses that.  I've thought it would be nice if the pep band
provided some entertainment with Michigan favorites like Sing Sing Sing,
Temptation, and Hawaiian War Chant, but I suspect they require bigger bands.

I'm going to blame the fifteen second rule.  The Victors is best when
played in its entirety, which probably only happens in football pregame
shows.  The part leading up to the chorus, when played with a full band,
is just magnificent and I can't believe it was written by a band member
in his junior year.  When Sousa came to Hill Auditorium as guest
conductor, he played the entire Victors and only played it once.  You've
just been the victim of getting tickets to the wrong concert.

Bob

  ... if we had a thirty-second rule, we could play it twice!