From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:51:01 -0500
This turned out to be a pretty entertaining game, with Bentley jumping to
a 3-0 lead with 3 goals in the first 3 minutes of the second period, then
letting UConn back in it by taking 2 stupid penalties in a row.  They
managed to survive the 5-on-3, but UConn scored on the 5-on-4 power play
to make it 3-1 heading into the third period.  Bentley sat back and didn't
skate as the third started and sure enough Connecticut scored twice to tie
it.  Once Bentley got moving again and skating it evened out and both
teams had chances to win it late and in the overtime.  Overall, it was a
fair result with a 3-3 tie.  Bentley's first point at the home rink all
season.  The Falcons still don't have a lot of talent, but they are
skating much better than in the beginning of the season and at least are
more competitive now.  UConn has apparently not been playing well, and
this game was indicative of that.  Way too many mistakes with the puck,
and way too slow moving it out of their own zone.  I saw them play early
in the season at Merrimack, and they looked better then than now -- not
something you expect after almost 3 months of playing together.

A question on rink construction and Zamboni entrances:  When they
renovated the Watertown (John Ryan Arena) rink this year, they redid the
boards and glass.  They installed a Zamboni entrance that is different
than any others I have seen.  Everywhere else they have normal doors on
hinges, and they swing the doors open to admit the Zamboni.  At Watertown,
they installed a "guillotine"-style arrangement where electric motors and
pulleys pull the entire panel up vertically to the ceiling and the Zamboni
enters underneath it.  When they are done, they lower the panel to the ice
to close the entrance.  They use some metal tracks at the ends of the
section to guide it up and down.  I am guessing they did this due to
limited space next to the boards in the rink.

Is this used elsewhere?  I haven't seen it around New England in my
limited travels, though it may exist.  It does provide a unique note to
the Bentley games, along with the ice-cold temps and virtually
non-existent crowds.
Rick McAdoo                        [log in to unmask]
"Volunteer reporter"               A pleased BC fan.  GO EAGLES!