From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:28:55 +0100
Arthur Berman writes:

>The REAL problem with college sports in the US is that the description of
>the players as student atheletes is too often a farce and a sham.  And
>please don't write back about exceptions, they just prove the rule.

I disagree, at least as far as UNH goes.  The graduation rate for UNH
hockey players in the 90's is well over 90% for those who have spent all
four years in Durham.  I would dare say that it is the same at most other
Hockey East schools.

In the old days it was assumed that the Canadian kids would come down to
the states, play for four years, fart around, not get their degree, then
leave.  Today, my impression is completely different.  I see the Canadian
kids at UNH as being highly motivated, appreciative of the opportunity to
play hockey, get a degree and still have a shot at pro hockey. If anything,
it is the US kids (especially the prima donnas) who don't take their
obligations seriously.

From what I understand about Canadian college, most of the players, as you
say, have finished juniors, have no realistic chance to go on as a pro and,
for the most part, are going through the motions as they go to school.  My
observations from the teams UNH plays at the start of every season -
Concordia, Ottawa, Dalhousie, etc. - are that they have limited talent,
don't care and goon it up if they get the chance.

Arthur, don't mistake college hockey for football and basketball.  The
players I come across, while for the most part not Einsteins, are intent on
getting their degree.

Greg Ambrose