From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 09:41:05 -0600
UMD topped the touring Finnish team 7-6 at a half-full DECC on Friday night to
run their record against international teams to 4-2 since 1990.  The Finns were
a fast team and the passing was at times unbelievable, but the smaller rink and
Duluth's physical play let the Dogs skate away with this one.  I think Minnesota
and Wisconsin will have tough times with this team as their team speed will
really show on the bigger rink.  The Dogs rebounded from a 5-3 deficit with 4
straight goals in the final period, and the Finns shot themselves in the foot
with a Too Many Men penalty when they had the goalie pulled at the end of the
game.  Jim Moellman was very good, despite giving up 6 goals, it could have
easily been 10.  Many Finn breakaways came up with nothing.  The most
entertaining one was when a Finn came in on the break, stopped on a dime about
10 feet in front of Moellman, played with him for a couple of seconds, and then
shot the puck wide right.  I would definitely say this was one of the most
exciting games I have seen the Bulldogs play in my 6 years of following the
team.  Yes, it even ranks right up with the sweep of the Gophers in '93 and the
Denver OT win in '95.  It's too bad they scheduled it over Christmas break and
nobody went to see it.

UMD    2  1  4 - 7
Pori   2  2  2 - 6