From:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:51:09 -0500
<<I was NOT impressed with the UVM fans.  Beyond flipping the
UNH fans the bird in the third period of the Friday nite game, they
started
to walk  out with 10 minutes to go and then, on Saturday, left en masse
after
the consolation game was over.  I would dare say that there were no more
than
200 people left in Gutterson at the conclusion of the championship game.
 What wonderful hockey fans.  Next year's Governors Cup is at UNH.  I am
sure
that the fans in Durham will give more respect to the game of college
hockey.>>

Humm....Home team loses, and is regulated to the consolation game!!
Wonder if that will effect the attendance at a tournament game?

I was at the G-Cup in Maine last year.  There was not exactly a sell out
crowd for the games that Maine wasn't in.  As for flipping off the
crowd-yeah, that is rude.  But, comparatively speaking, UVM fans are both
knowledgeable and classy.   I've been to most of the rinks in the ECAC and
many Hockey East rinks and I can tell you that there are some real pigs
out there---Clarkson, Cornell, Brown, etc.  Some of the stuff that goes on
is officially condoned in that it is instigated by the pep bands, mascots,
etc.  If I had a young child I wouldn't take him/her to a game at
Clarkson!!!!

I was also at the UVM/UNH  in Durham game this semester and I didn't
notice enviable behavior on the part of the UNH fans there.  As soon as
the game was decided the rats deserted the sinking ship, so to speak.

It goes on everywhere, some place worse than others.  But nobody can point
fingers at anyone else without taking a look at their own fans.