From:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MR ADAM C WODON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 05:16:57 EST
Thank you Geoff Howell for deferring to me on Princeton rookie Casson
Masters <G>.

It was an accurate representation of "Gus" as the team calls him for some
unknown reason.  Masters started off with a bang teamed with fellow frosh
Matt Brush and last season's leading goal-scorer, junior J.P. O'Connor.
However, he seems to have gotten the early-season success jinx that struck
soph. Jean Verdon. Verdon had 4 goals in 5 games last year and got 1 the
rest of the year.  Masters has been stuck on 4 for a while.
   Masters seems to be more of a playmaker right now because he doesn't
have the tenacity to mix it up in the slot.  He has created chances because
of his speed, but lately, and I think it's mental, he seems to be
outskating himself.  He skates too fast for his own good and loses his
balance.  I think he'll correct this, and will be excellent.

   Saltarelli hasn't gotten the chance like other frosh goalies (Koenig,
Owen, Brenzavich) because of Konte, but he appears to have the reflexes and
mental attitude to be a good one.  I'm not sure you could have said that at
the beginning of the year, but he has become comfortable with his
surroundings quickly, and he has concentrated on improving.  Before
Saltarelli's 35-save effort against Brown for his first league win, he
appeared unfazed by the "pressure."  And it was genuine, not some bravado.

   I've heard rumors Kariya is at least seriously considering Princeton,
but it may be wishful thinking.  I think Harvard has as good a chance as
Maine from what I hear.  He is about 5-foot-5, with a ton of talent.  He is
also extremely bright.  For all I rip Maine on occasion, I hear Paul was
also smart, but his brother is apparently super-smart.

    The ECAC has always been considered the weakest, but I don't think it's
fair.  Maybe it is, but not by as wide a margin as some might think.  I
bring up this point all the time, but between 1979 and 1990, the ECAC had
an average of 1 team in the final four.  Harvard finally returned to it
last year.  1 per year is a .500 average, if you catch my drift, because
there are four conferences.  Throw in 2 national championships, and a few
more finalists, and that's pretty good.
     This year, there may not be a standout, but the league is the deepest
it's ever been.  The obvious drawback is the Ivy League schools.  They
cannot compete in recruiting for the most part.  When you consider,
however, how the Ivies have done in other sports, I think you have to give
them a lot of credit.

    As for crowds and bands, I've covered the ECAC for 7 years, and been to
a few Hockey East rinks.  I've never been to a Western rink.  In the ECAC,
Lynah Rink is clearly the loudest.  The place is a barn, but it's great.  I
believe it's capacity is second in the league to RPI, maybe third.
Unfortunately, in recent years, Cornell has been down.  It's not so much
that, as I think fans of the team are sensing there's something wrong
there.  The program is going in a bad direction, there's friction with the
administration, Coach McCutcheon isn't liked.
    The CU crowd can be vicious, but I think it's done with such an
intellectual edge, that it's funny.  There's no one close to that crowd
when the team is doing well (overall I mean, not just in the game).
Clarkson's band is the best I've heard.  I love Cheel (Maybe because it has
the best broadcast facilities).  I also love the bell, it adds a lot of
charm.  I guess it isn't as load (the bell that is) as it was at Walker,
but I never went there.
    Gutterson is a great building because of the student section
practically hanging over one goal.  I would have bet my life that Vermont
would have the best home record in the league this year, but they just
broke a five-game losing streak.  Glad I didn't make that bet.
   In Hockey East, a lot of buildings are bigger.  I was impressed with
Maine.  BU was a notch below in my opinion.  BC and UMASS have big
buildings and recently bad teams, so I couldn't say about that.
    Princeton is similar to Dartmouth.  They sell out the 2000 seats
because Alumni suck up the tix.  But they're not vocal.  The loudest I've
heard it was during a 5-on-3 at the Dartmouth game recently after Princeton
came home from beating Maine.  The students were pumped and trying to rally
the rest of the crowd, but they had no clue.  Princeton had a very vocal
following of Alumni at the Harvard game Friday, and it helped.  I think
this is why Princeton is better on the road since I've been following them.
 The guys were joking about paying those people to show up at every game at
home.  The band also goes to the basketball games.  Princeton hoops is
revered.  And Princeton is the southern-most affiliated D-I school, believe
it or not, so people just aren't as interested down there.  Too much,
Rangers, Devils, Knicks, Jets, Giants, Yanks, Mets to worry about.

  Thanks for letting me ramble.

                             Adam Wodon