Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1992 12:51:06 EDT
Last night (Sun April 12), Merrimack celebrated its 38th year of varsity
hockey and third season in Hockey East with the annual Hockey Banquet at
DiBurro's Restaurant, Bradford, MA.

The following awards were presented:

Most Improved Player
  Cooper Naylor, So C-LW (31 GP, 2-13--15)
Francis "Buzz" Miller Unsung Hero Award
  Don MacLeod, Jr D (28 GP, 1-5--6)
Fans' Award
  John Barron, Jr RW (31 GP, 6-7--13)
Rookie of the Year Award
  Mark Cornforth, Fr D (23 GP, 1-9--10)
Coaches' Award
  Wayde McMillan, Jr C-LW (19 GP, 3-6--9)
  Matt Crowley, Jr RW (24 GP, 7-3--10)
Most Valuable Player
  Steve D'Amore, Sr G (32 GP, 11-18-0, 4.24, 0.868, 1 SO)
  Dan Gravelle, Jr C (34 GP, 23-28--51)

Merrimack captains for 1992-93 will be:
  Teal Fowler, Jr C (34 GP, 20-15--35)
  Alex Weinrich, Jr D (34 GP, 2-18--20)

Head Coach Ron Anderson also introduced and said a few words about each of
the seniors:

  Agostino Casale, LW
  Steve D'Amore, G
  Yannick Gosselin, G
  Rob Kelley, F-D
  Brendan Locke, C
  Claude Maillet, D-F
  Jeff Massey, RW

All were presented with chairs stamped with the Merrimack insignia, sweaters,
and were urged to continue to support their alma mater and hockey team in the
future; all should be good ambassadors for Merrimack hockey and will be
missed.

In addition, Coach Anderson said a few words about the positive direction the
program is taking, the improvements that have been made over last season
(better goaltending and defense, much improved special teams), and the fact
that teams like Boston University now say that playing Merrimack is like
"going to the dentist" (Jack Parker).  He noted that the seniors were recruited
four years ago to play in a DivI independent program, then were told in Jan 89
that surprise, Merrimack was entering Hockey East in nine months.  They met
the challenge well.

Anderson added that the past season, which saw a remarkable 31 different
players see ice time for the Warriors, was a particularly difficult one
because of all the injuries - the worst single season in that respect in his
12 years at Merrimack.  But a positive result of that should be the experience
gained by a wide variety of players, most of whom are returning next season.

Finally, Merrimack's president, Rev. John E. Deegan, saluted the team for
its reception of the first sportsmanship award by Hockey East due to its
having recorded the fewest average penalty minutes in the league.  Fr. Deegan
spoke of the decision made three years ago to enter Hockey East and how the
decision was made easier because of the quality people heading the program.
He also noted that the program is respected across DivI for the way it conducts
itself on and off the ice, and said that he was proud of both the attaining
of the sportsmanship honor and the progress to date of Merrimack hockey in
Hockey East.

Merrimack returns 5 of its top 6 scorers next season, including 1-2 scorers
Gravelle and Fowler, and seven defensemen who saw time (5 who played in at
least 22 games; all played in at least 10).  I'll send out the official
recruit list when it is released, but it looks like The Staff has done another
excellent job in bringing in players who will continue to move the program
along towards its goal.  All I will say now is I'm pretty excited about the
additions I've heard about and their chances for success in DivI, and it may
be a safe bet to say that next year will be Merrimack's best yet in HE and
in full-time DivI.

Also, I'll send out the (tentative) 1992-93 schedule when I can, and I
encourage others who have access to any schedules for next year to do the
same.  Thanks.

- mike