Sender:
From:
"Craig A. McGowan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1992 15:52:20 EST
W.r.t. the bias of people on this list.  I think everyone should refrain
from describing themselves as being unbiased.  I am biased, and everyone
else is as well.  I am biased based on my experience with college hockey
going back through the late 1960's, where my parents went to school, where I
went to school, and who I get to see play now.

Bias is what we use in determining the relative rankings of teams not in the
same conference.  I am biased in one way that is perhaps different from
others: I put a lot of emphasis on teams that are winners.  To me, its hard
to say that a team with a 8-18 record in a strong division I conference is
better than a 18-8 team in a weak Div. 1 conference.

We have so little information to use in comparing the different conferences
that I think the two teams/conference rule is a good rule.  We then can try
to pick the 2 best teams from each conference based on much more reliable
data.  Let the remaining 4 seeds come from a this black magic of rating
relative conference strength.
--
Craig