MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Lord, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lord, Linda
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:59:11 -0400
This message is being forwarded from the Maine Arts Commission.  If you
are interested please respond to

Kathy Ann Shaw
Grants/Arts Development Associate
Maine Arts Commission
193 State Street, 25 SHS
Augusta, ME  04333-0025
207/287-2750 Direct Line
877/887-3878 TTY/NexTalk User ID: kathy.shaw
207/287-2724 General Office Line
207/287-2725 Fax
MaineArts.com <http://www.mainearts.com/>

We are seeking your help in identifying cities and towns in your state
which you think are the strongest prospects to participate in the NEA's
Big Read initiative.  The NEA will follow up from the leads you provide.
Our goal is to have 2 Big Read programs in each state.

Background on The Big Read:   The initiative is designed to revitalize
the role of literature in American popular culture and bring the
transformative power of literature into the lives of its citizens. The
Big Read works with multiple partners across the country to encourage
citizens to read for pleasure and enlightenment.  For more information:
http://www.neabigread.org/about.php
<blocked::http://www.neabigread.org/about.php>

Ideal candidates include cities or towns of any size that have the
potential to assemble a coalition of groups to work in partnership.

Please identify:

1. city or town

2. organization we should contact (eg., library, literary center, local
arts council, mayor's office, etc.)

3. contact information for individual at that organization

A swift response from you will help the program enormously: with an
application deadline of September 12, time is short.  The Big Read staff
will begin making calls to prospective applicants as soon as we hear
from you.

Many thanks,

Andi and John