MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Karl Beiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 15:57:58 -0400
   Vendor For Statewide Delivery Service Selected

On behalf of Maine Info Net I am pleased to announce the
selection of CD&L Inc. to  provide delivery services to Maine
libraries as a result of a recently concluded bid process.  The
new agreement covers the period July 2006 - June 2007.    The
main points for libraries whose participation is coordinated by
the Maine State Library include:

1.	No per-tote charges. Pricing is simple and predictable and is
based solely on the number of stops.  If the volume of activity
increases, pricing will not change.

2.	No fuel adjustment charge.  Whatever happens with gasoline
prices in the next 12 months the cost to libraries will not
vary.

3.	A per stop charge of $11.50.  A great many libraries will
find that this represents a cost reduction when compared to the
old rate plus per-tote charges. For most others it is only a
modest increase, again because of the old per-tote charge.

4.	A uniform list of non-delivery holidays (about 12 days a
year, to be posted) will be observed.  Libraries getting 5-day a
week delivery will know ahead of time that there will be no
delivery on these days.  For all other libraries that normally
would get delivery on the holiday a stop will be made instead on
the next day the library is open and would not otherwise get a
delivery.

5.	Satisfactory agreement on a number of important issues that
have arisen with CD&L in the past year.  Some towns that
previously were not serviced now will be.  Acute problems with
particular drivers and routes are being addressed.  A new
approach to complaint resolution has been worked out.

Please note that bills for the April - June period will be sent
out in July and will follow the old pricing structure.

Cost and the Smallest Libraries

A word about cost.  The lower-cost of the two bidders was
selected.  Substantial cost increases were expected because of
increased gasoline prices and the fact that the old prices were
3 years old.  Nevertheless we realize that for some of the
smallest libraries that never exceed one tote per stop this cost
increase may make the difference between using the delivery
service and not using it, which in turn may make the difference
between joining SOLAR and MaineCat, and not doing so.

If your library finds itself in this position, please let me
know.  Send me an email describing the fiscal situation that you
face.  I don't know if there will be anything we can do in the
short run for libraries in the worst financial shape.  However,
the first step is to determine how many libraries are most
severely impacted.  This will also help us in looking toward
possible alternative approaches in future bid cycles.

Starting or Changing Delivery Service

Beginning in the new fiscal year, changes to the schedule and
additions of new libraries can only be done during several
"windows".  The first of these is open from now through July. If
you would like to join the delivery service for the first time,
you must do so during this period or wait until November of this
year, or the May 2007 window.  Current delivery sites can change
their schedules only during these same periods.

You can join the Delivery Service through:

http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/join_delivery.htm

or edit your current service through:

http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/edit_delivery.htm

The intent of this more structured approach is to make it easier
for the vendor to provide the expected service level and for the
Maine State Library to accurately bill libraries for the actual
service they receive.

Coordination

The business office of the Maine State Library will bill
libraries and make payments to the vendor.   Dean Corner,
Director of Reader & Information Services, of the Maine State
Library is the contact person for questions or problems related
to the service.  His email address is [log in to unmask]
Please contact him first if you have encountered a significant
service problem, or have questions about the new service
contract.

All involved with working out the logistics of this service are
concerned that it operate as smoothly and predictably as
possible.  As this service grows it becomes harder to deal with
minor variances in service.  We encourage libraries to be as
flexible and cooperative as possible even as we also are on
watch for any egregious service problems and will work with the
vendor to resolve them as they arise.

Your Contact Information

Please review the contact information for your library on the
delivery page at:

http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/interlib/delivery.htm

Please also have a look at the contact information to be found
at:

http://www.maine.gov/infonet/mainecat/contacts.htm

If there are changes on either page, please click the Feedback
link at the bottom of the page and enter your correction.

Regards,

--
Karl Beiser, Executive Director
Maine Info Net

Maine Info Net, a service of the University of Maine System and
the Maine State Library, draws on a partnership of public,
academic, school and special libraries to create the leading
statewide source of information and educational resources for
Maine citizens.  It provides an online information portal,
promotes resource sharing, provides cost-effective solutions for
improvement of the quality of library and information services,
and supports the economic development of the State.