From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 16:52:00 PST
From THE HOCKEY NEWS...LETTERS...19 November 1993

MONEY MENACE
  I would like to express my disgust for the pathetic money machine the NHL
has become.
  I am entering my second season of Swedish hockey and have been reading
about the recent megadeals for some NHL players.
  I would like to congratulate these "millionaires" for ruining the only
professional sport that had some integrity.
  The game is no longer played for the soul, it is played for the wallet.
  As a former player with the Merrimack Warriors of Hockey East, I know all
about the raw intensity and desire it takes to play this game.
  I feel NHL players have forgotten that playing in the NHL is not
singularly about making money.  It is the single highest honor anyone who
has played this game can hope for.  It is time the players remembered that
and concentrated less on their wallets.

  Stephen D'Amore
  Glimakra, Sweden

Ouch!  Go get 'em, Steve.  For those who don't remember, D'Amore ended his
career at MC in 1991-92, and was the backbone of that team.  (Yes, I'm
stretching to make this post relevant to college hockey.  If nothing else,
it's a D'Amore update...he's in Sweden!)

  John H
  U Mich