From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1993 07:51:36 -0400
Mike made a number of comments yesterday about Canadian college hockey
all of which agee with my observations: there players are older, they
don't offer athletic scholarships, eligibility rules are not as strict.
I remember being at an RPI Tourney, I think in 1984, but it might have
been earlier, and the University of Toronto was one of the particpants.
There were a number of NHL scouts in attendence (because of Adam
Oates?) and I overheard them talking about Darren Boyko who was
apparently the star of the Toronto team.  One joked to the other about
him still being around after all these years.

Jon Greene commented about Don Armstrong (he did graduate in 1978, but
I do not remember if he was the Captian.)  I remember meeting him and
his parents in the local Holiday Inn while attending some RPI TOurney
while he was playing on the team and thinking to myself that he
seemed quite intelligent.  This was in contrast to several (but
certainly not all) the Hockey players that I either met while an
undergraduate or I taught while I was a graduate TA.

RPI has attracted a number of very intelligent Hockey players over the
years--the exploits of Joe Juneau have been recounted on Hockey-L, TSN
and elsewhere many times.  I also remember that the goalie Terry Jordan
(RPI '72) won the award for having the highest QPA among all students
as a freshman.  I better not mention the other end of the spectrum
except to say that it was standard fair while I was an undergraduate
(1964-68) for half the team to go on academic probation after the first
semester.  This seems to have improved, somehow, over the intervening
years.