Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 10:15:48 EDT
Greg writes:

> I've been informed that college hockey didn't
> "drop" the redline, they "added" the blue lines for
> purposes of two line passes. Originally I thought
> about infinite line passing and thougth that would
> change the game a lot. But on second thought, it
> shouldn't have had much effect at all - the lead
> player still needs to stay on-side.

I'm not sure what this means since there really is no concept of a two-line
pass in college.....a player is either offside at the opposing team's blue
line or he isn't.  It really doesn't matter where the pass came from.

College hockey did make a change with regard to the red line about 12 years ago.
Back when I first started attending games the red line was not used for icing.
All the defense had to do was advance the puck beyond their own blue line before
dumping the puck in.  The effects were predictable: more dump and run....and a
very wide open game with less method to the breakout.  Forwards were free to
roam  on the breakout (can you say "hanging at the red line"?) because there was
less chance of the defense coughing up the puck....if they could reach the blue
line and had no other option they'd fire it down ice.

Jon
--
Jon Greene
Data General Corp., Westboro, MA