From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1993 17:39:53 -0700
I've looked through the papers from the past few days, but the only article
I found was from Friday's Gazette Telegraph, written before the announcement
that night.  Here it is:

begin quoted material
=====================

   Colorado College narrowed its search for a new hockey coach to one man on
Thursday, but he won't be Bob Mancini.  The first-year Michigan Tech coach,
a graduate of Colorado College, withdrew his name from consideration
Thursday morning before returning to Houghton, Mich.  That left just two other
possibilities: head coaches Chuck Delich of Air Force and Don Lucia of
Alaska-Fairbanks.
  "We're at the point where we made a recommendation to the (CC) president
(Michael Grace), and an offer is going to be made to the person," athletic
director Max Taylor said Thursday afternoon after the search committee
narrowed its choice.  "Within 48-72 hours after we offer the job, we will
hopefully have a new coach.  We're at a very sensitive stage, as far as
getting an offer out."
   Mancini said once his interview was finished, his sense of loyalty changed
from his alma mater to Michigan Tech.  "If the timing was different, then
there would have been no question," Mancini said from his home.  "But I didn't
feel like I could leave Michigan Tech now.  I hadn't done everything I could
do here.  To come back here and tell them (the Huskies) I was leaving
wouldn't have been right.  It was nothing against CC.  The whole process was
great.  But I had to be honest to myself and be fair to this program."
   Delich interviewed two weeks ago before CC took a break for the NCAA
hockey coaches convention in Florida.  Lucia met with CC officials Monday,
and Mancini followed Wednesday.  Delich and Lucia said early Thursday
afternoon that they had not heard from CC.  Before Mancini withdrew, sources
close to the program favored Lucia and Mancini.
   Delich and Lucia said their interviews went as expected, and there had
been nothing to disuade their intentions.  That included the uncertain status
of a home rink for the Tigers.  "You like to think you did all right," Delich
said.  "I didn't have that many questions, because I think I have a pretty
good idea of what's happening.  I think they (CC officials) were open and
up-front.  They didn't try to sugarcoat or conceal anything."
   Lucia expressed similar sentiments.  "I think all my questions were
answered," he said.  "CC is what I thought it was: a great academic school
with a lot of integrity.  It reminded me a lot of when I was at Notre Dame.
I was real happy with the way it (the interview) went."

end quoted material

I guess now we'll just have to wait and see what kind of decision Lucia
makes this week.

Karen
~ Karen Heasley                        ~   Animals are such agreeable        ~
~ Colorado College '95                 ~   friends - they ask no questions;  ~
~ Colorado Springs, CO                 ~   they pass no criticisms.          ~
~ [log in to unmask]  or    ~                                     ~
~ [log in to unmask]            ~                  - George Eliot     ~