Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1993 21:05:00 MDT
College Hockey Fans....

        The issue here is not whther the Ivies have scholarships or whether
they have "prefered" access to financial aid. The issue is the unification of
college hockey, its coaches, its fans and adminsitrators. The Ivy folks
should support the concerns of college hockey and the non-ivy folks should
respect the mission of the Ivies and the ECAC.

        It is absurd that any fan should say that it is OK, to limit college
hockey  to 18 scholarships, 2 coaches or to 34 games. We in college hockey
should all be working together to insure that the game continues to be one
of the best intercollegiate sports not only in revenues, but for fan
enjoyment and campus life for our students and faculty.

        Let's ask a few questions

        Why are all NFL teams travel and play with 48 players?....

...and why do all college football teams travel with 60-65 players?....

..yet why does the NCAA allow 85 football scholarships?...

Only the NCAA and college adminsitrators can answer this. And Until this
is answered all other intercollegiate men's and women's sports will
continue to be cut, or left with nothing but "Bread & water" to survive.

Just imagine if football were to be cut to 48 scholarships what could be
done withn the 30 scholarships saved....Football coaches would say we
need more players to be competive, then as a former track coach I would
say do what all the other sports do and recruit "walk-ons" and give the
university a few tuition dollars to offset the expense of your sport!

Jack McDonald
University of Denver