From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1992 04:21:24 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> College Hockey discussion list
 <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>An earlier posting inquired as to why Wisconsin's players were angry
>toward the end of last night's game.  Obviously, it was the
>officiating.  It seemed to me that in a national championship game,
>teams should be able to play a bit.  I don't think the game would
>have gotten out of hand if the ref had not called so many penalties.

Just a quick note regarding the above statement...  it is generally agreed
that calling more penalties tends to STOP games from getting out of hand.
The Badgers have nothing to complain about.  Part of maturing into a good
hockey player is knowing how to adjust your game according to the calling
style of the referee.  I'm sure Tim (MacConaghy) set out his calling
standards with the captains at the beginning of the game.  It's the team's
problem if they don't want to adjust.  And at this level of hockey, trust
me, they have the ability to adjust.

>I think that four 5-on-3s for LSSU in the first two periods of a
>championship game is ridiculous.  True, Wisconsin should have shown
>more restraint at the end of the game; but I certainly think they had
>a case.

5-on-3's are perfectly valid as far as I'm concerned.  If they don't want
to play by the rules, then they can play without a full line.  That's the
game.  It's that simple.         -- kennyz

--
Kenny Zalewski -- Information Technology Services at Rensselaer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 83 Albright Court, Troy, NY, 12180