From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 00:41:01 -0500
I am surprised that our resident physicist, John Whelan did not bring this
up...

It may have started at MIT

F = G*m1*m2/d^2

Since we know that a large object (goalie) will exert an ever increasing
gravimetric force on the smaller massed puck as the distance (d) gets
smaller and smaller, it stands to reason that all pucks should end up stuck
to the goaltender.  Hence the term "black hole".

The fact that some pucks end up in the net is attributed to Zappia's
Collorary to Fudd's First Law -- If you shoot something hard enough, it will
go in.

Since F = m*a, we have m*a = G*m1*m2/d^2.
Cancelling out the m's we get
a = G*m1/d^2
Since a = v*t
we can substitute
v*t = G*m1/d^2
or
v = G*m/(d^2*t)

Given that, the larger the goalie, the harder you have to shoot it.  Then
time becomes quicker which says that no matter how large the goaltender, a
shot of sufficient speed will beat the goalie every time.

This is proven in space where objects of a sufficient velocity are not
sucked into a black hole, but are spun out in a different direction.  In
hockey, this is known as a rebound.

Joe