From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2011 23:22:05 -0500
The source of the Black Hole Cheer was indeed Harvard.  As to when it
started, it must have been some time before the 1984-85 season, as Cornell
had picked it up by then.

The original (Harvard) version was a bit longer, as the goalie's name was
shouted before each "stanza" -- "Hey, X!  You're not a goalie, you're a
sieve!  Hey, X!  You're not a sieve, you're a funnel!" etc.  I'm pretty
sure Cornell can take credit for streamlining the cheer.

At 04:54 PM 2/26/2011 -0500, John An wrote:
>As a Cornell fan, I am 99% sure that the black hole cheer came from
Harvard. There used to be a page that explained the history of cheers, but
I can't seem to find it now. I think there was also a piece in Sports
Illustrated in the 90's that goes into the origins of cheers. In any case,
I believe that the black hole cheer is one cheer that Cornell contingent
hocked from Hahvahd!

>On Feb 26, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Mike Abegg wrote:
>
>> I generally assume anything that witty came from Harvard or Cornell, but
don't know it as a fact.

>> Mike Abegg
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Feb 26, 2011, at 14:55, Carol White <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For those of you who have been on this list a long time...  I have a
favor.
>>> (if you were bcc on this email, just email me back  directly)
>>>
>>> I want to find out when and where (as best as we can tell) The Black Hole
>>> Cheer started.
>>>
>>> I know it began out East, a long time ago... but I want to be able to
inform
>>> some knuckleheads on the Gopher list with a decisive answer as to where it
>>> came from.
>>>
>>> No rush, but I will appreciate your help. Looking forward to seeing
lots of
>>> you in St. Paul come April!
>>>
>>> Carol
>>> QoGH
>>> GO Gophers!!!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carol S. White
>>>
>>> "Imagination is more powerful even than knowledge." ~ Albert Einstein**

Bill Fenwick