From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:44:03 -0500
WESTFIELD, MA-The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's hockey team scored five power play goals and defeated host Westfield State, 7-2, in a Massachusetts Collegiate Athletic Conference game at the Amelia Park Ice Arena Thursday evening.

The Corsairs took the lead for good when they won a faceoff in the offensive zone and senior forward Joe Hill (Newburyport, MA/Valley Jr. Warriors) scored a power play goal with six seconds remaining in the first period. The goal came just seven seconds into the power play. Lucas Romero had given Westfield State a 1-0 lead with a power play goal at 11:23 of the first period. Sophomore forward Dan Dempsey (Norwell, MA/Lebanon Valley College) tied it with the first of his three goals at 14:11.
UMass Dartmouth added three goals in the second period and took a commanding 5-1 lead into the second intermission. Junior forward Rob Dudley (Douglas, MA/Middlesex School) ignited the second period run when he cut in alone on WSU goalie Eddie Davey and score to give the Corsairs a 3-1 advantage. Senior forward Todd Bartelson (Pepperell, MA/Valley Jr.Warriors) and Dempsey added second period goals. Dempsey and sophomore forward Nick Marquis (Londonderry, NH/Valley Jr. Warriors) scored for UMD in the third period.

Dempsey (Norwell, MA/Lebanon Valley College) led UMD with three goals and one assist, while senior forward Jason Stahl (Londonderry, NH/Valley Jr. Warriors) added four assists.

”Our power play goals made the difference,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “They came into the game with 35 power play goals and a 28 per cent power play percentage, and we came in with 14 power play goals, and we got five. I have to give our team credit for maintaining our composure and putting the puck in the net.”
UMass Dartmouth out shot Westfield State, 35-33. Senior goalie Collin Tracy (Medford, MA/Medford HS) made 31 saves for the Corsairs, while Davey and Ray Monroe combined to make 28 for WSU.
UMD improved to 14-6-1 and 9-4-1 in the MASCAC with the victory, and moved into a first place tie with Plymouth State, while WSU dropped to 4-15-2 and 3-10-1 with the defeat. UMass Dartmouth will return to action when they host Plymouth State Saturday. The Owls will host Fitchburg State next Thursday.

		UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY