From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1992 02:07:57 EST
Mark Grassl writes:
>I understand that the people out in Providence have to be worried
>about the lack of attendance at the games there.

This is true.  It will be interesting to see what happens next year.  I
haven't heard anything yet about the Eastern site for next year and no one
seems to know.  I think the problems I mentioned in my post a day or two ago
(people not wanting to travel for one game, the Thursday-Saturday game dates,
games being held off-campus, etc.) are the main reasons for the low attendance.

>However I doubt
>if televising the game with so little notice in Wisc is going to
>hurt their walk-up ticket sales.

And of course we know how much logic enters into play in these decisions.

>Mike M. writes about Providence:
>>Attendance was a disappointing 5,327, about 40% of capacity.  Ice was brutal.
>                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Why was the ice so bad?  I also heard that it was very humid, i.e. Derksen
>said that he was getting dehydrated during the game.

The Prov CC is not used normally for hockey.  Its main use is for concerts,
shows, and Providence basketball.  The boards are completely devoid of puck
marks.  The ice was in terrible shape, severely cut up - forcing many delays
for the linesmen to make ice repairs - and the humidity you mention, especially
at ice level, did not make things any better.  At least two of the four
intermissions were extended from 12 to 15 minutes so the crew could have
additional time to try to improve the ice.

>>7. Jason Francisco "Rinaldi", Wis
>
>I don't get this one---am I completely out of touch.

Spaghetti sauce.  I apologize if this is not a national product, I've seen
the commercial dozens of times and they compete with Ragu.

>>2. Domenic "I'm on-a Mexican" Amodeo, UNH
>   (honorable mention: Domenic "Rock Me" Amodeo)
>>1. Frank "Funky Cold" Messina, UNH
>
>What varied musical tastes!

As I said, it was a joint effort...

>How about Chris "half" Nelson, Wis or Blaine "it on Rio" Moore, Wis.

We came up with the first, but unfortunately, the home office did not place
it in the Top 10.  Too bad you were not around to suggest the second, I
like it too.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com