From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:00:32 -0500
In an exciting but poorly officiated game, Minn State (Mankato) defeated U. Minn with a short-handed goal by Trevor Bress (Breis?) at 17:53 of the second OT.

Both goalies played outstanding, both teams skated hard and all officials swallowed whistles.  There were 4 penalties called against the Mavericks in the first period, two against the Gophers in the second period, and then no others until the one the game ended with.  Many penalties were committed, of course, by both teams.  It was brutal on the ice.  I don't think they would have called a minor for a boarding that killed somebody.  It has always been and remains my pet peeve that you have to call penalties even if it is OT.  In this case, it was too many men on the ice, and it was picky as hell.  There is no way the extra player, scrambling to get to the bench, affected play in any way, yet they chose to call that.  Then justice struck!  The Mavs got a 2 on 1 break, made a nice pass for an easy shot right at the crease and won.

Tom Rowe
Go Badgers!