From:
"Dr. Bob Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:36:03 -0500
Seems the other two that you mention all fit what was said.  The first
school in the system gets use of the name wihout qualifiers.  Seems, the
Amherst situatiom would be similar, except they prefer Umass instead of
Massachusetts, according to Ed's recent note  Just don't think UAA has the
ring to it that is there for UCLA or UNLV but I will wait to see how the
seawolves play it out.

Back to content of my original post, that I think it is a follow the money
issue  Seems athletic trade marks, service marks, etc are going to apply
across divisions, so it is an issue despite playing in different leagues,
divisions, etc.   Interesting how many name changes occurred around the time
of the lawsuit was filed in 1992 and upheld by the US Patent office.   While
overturned in the courts it is apparently not yet over there.  Of course,
these things are usually in the air for some time before they are filed, so
it is not a clear dividing line.   With the way the Grateful Dead have
protected their rights, it is unlikely that we will see the dancing bears
logo for an ice hockey team or a precision skating team any time soon for
many reasons.        Bob Hamilton

>From: John Edwards
>I don't think the two examples are similar at all. From what I understand,
>UMTC is clearly the main campus of the UofM system, while Duluth,
Crookston,