From:
Mike Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:39:16 +0100
Surprised nobody more on-the-ball than I posted about this already:

The NCAA graduation rates were published in today's paper.  Men's Ice
Hockey came in at 84%.  This is behind only Skiing (the highest at 89%),
Fencing, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, and Water Polo.  It is ahead of not only
the traditional boat-anchors like Basketball (59%), Baseball (65%) and
Football (65%), but also Cross Country/Track, Golf, Rifle (who knew the
NCAA had a rifle championship?), Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, and
Wrestling.

Considering the opportunities for professional hockey as an alternative to
graduating, I'd say this speaks well of hockey as a collegiate sport.  I
mean the swimmers who are not graduating aren't doing so because they're
going to make much money as a pro, instead, yet the hockey players are
beating them at the graduation game.  Yes, one could argue that there's a
good percentage of future pro hockey players (from the US) who never even
enter college, but same could be said for golf and tennis, probably.

On the women's side, Ice Hockey was at 88% which isn't distinguished
either way.  Women's graduation rates are much more compressed -
everything except Bowling (again, who knew?) and Rifle is between 82% and
94%.

I'm sure the full results are posted somewhere on the NCAA's web site.
I'm not that interested to go looking for the link, though...

Mike A