From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 09:03:11 -0500
As an update to my post last week, here's how I think things would look
ITSET.

Minnesota and Denver have losses to Dartmouth, which are eliminated one the
tournament field is set.

Denver gets the 14th and last spot over Providence, which also eliminates
North Dakota's loss to Providence.

Note that MSU-Mankato replaces Providence in the tournament from last week.

The top 3 ranks would be automatic: CC, Maine, and Cornell. This is
unchanged from last week.

BC (only loss to Ferris) and UNH (only loss to BC) are clearly 4 and 5.
Denver (only win over OSU) and OSU (only win over BU) are clearly 13 and 14.

This leaves 7 teams, as follows:

BU beats Ferris, Minn, Mich, ND, and MSUM
Minn beats Ferris, SC, Mich, ND
Ferris beats SC, Mich, ND, and MSUM
SC beats BU, ND, MSUM
ND beats Mich, MSUM
Mich beats SC, MSUM
MSUM beats Minn

Using RPI to break ties, the 6-12 bids go in the order listed above.

Now for the tournament selection rules.

#1 seeds: CC, Maine, Cornell, BC.

#2 hosts are Minnesota at Minneapolis, BU at Worcester
#3 host is Michigan at Ann Arbor
Providence is host-less.

#1 seeds draft home sites: #1 CC is closest to Minneapolis, #2 Maine is
closest to Worcester, #3 Cornell is closest to Providence. As the #4, BC
gets to go to Ann Arbor.

The problem is with the #3 seeds: St. Cloud, North Dakota, and MSU-Mankato
are all WCHA teams, which means one of them would have to match up with #2
seed Minnesota. My solution is to flip-flop #8 Ferris and #9 St. Cloud. Then
Ferris goes to Minneapolis, St. Cloud goes to Ann Arbor as a #2 seed, and
UNH goes to Providence as a #2 seed. Between North Dakota and MSU-Mankato,
there's no real reason to pick between them, so on a ranking basis sent #10
North Dakota to Worcester (vs. #6 BU) and #12 MSU-Mankato to Providence (vs.
#5 UNH).

Denver and OSU can go to either Ann Arbor or Providence, so keep OSU close
to home.

Providence: #3 Cornell vs. #13 Denver, #5 UNH vs. #12 MSU-Mankato
Worcester: #2 Maine vs. Mercyhurst (MAAC), #6 BU vs. #10 ND
Ann Arbor: #4 BC vs. #14 Ohio St, #9 SC vs. #11 Mich
Minneapolis: #1 CC vs. Alabama-Huntsville (CHA), #7 Minn vs. #8 Ferris

Patrick Abegg