From:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Gilreath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:44:36 -0500
Mercyhurst is from Erie Penn, on one of them BIG lakes.  ;-)

The name Lakers has more to do with the ore boats that run on the great lakes.

As for who should have the name Lakers, consider this confusion.

The GLIAC  Great lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
has in it for football, basketball, volleyball etc.,
3 teams named the Lakers.  LSSU, Mercyhurst and Grand Valley.

2 are located on the great lakes, Grand Valley is inland, but from the
great lakes state of Michigan.

Enough of the geography lesson for today, returning you to your regularly
scheduled hockey info list.

;-)

Bob

At 10:04 AM 11/25/02 -0800, you wrote:
>But are the names descriptive of the nearby locale? I have no idea where
>Mercyhurst is, but if there's a bunch of lakes nearby, fine. :-) I have
>a feeling there are some rather large lakes near Lake State :-)
>
>Now about the LA Lakers??????  ..... :-)
>
>Happy and a safe Thanksgiving to all.
>
>Tony Buffa
>RPI '64 Go Engineers!
>
>==============
>
>Rowe, Thomas wrote:
>>Oh, lets get real here .  That would mean either Missouri or LSU would
>>have to give being called the Tigers.  Team names are not that proprietary.
>>

>>>RPI remains perfect against the MAAC teams skating to a 5-3
>>>victory over
>>>the Mercyhurst Lakers (who IMHO have no right to using "Lakers"--that
>>>remains the property of LSSU)
>>
>>.

Bob Gilreath
Telcom Engineer/