From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:25:40 -0600
Wrote Rowe, Thomas :

> Now that I think about it, having one or a few players
> from very far away distorts the true picture of what is
> going on, recruiting-wise.  I wonder if the median distance
> wouldn't be a better number to use here instead of average.
>
> What do you say, Bob - got those numbers too?

Heck with that! Is there a way to use this data to determine the geographic
center of the D-I Men's Hockey universe?

For example: the geographic center of North America is 6 miles west of
Balta, Pierce County, North Dakota (48°10' North, 100°10' West); the
geographic center of the 50 United States is west of Castle Rock, Butte
County, South Dakota (44°58' North, 103°46' West); and the geographic center
of the contiguous (lower) 48 states is about four miles west of Lebanon,
Kansas (39°50' North, 98°35' West).

Could each individual players' hometown be plotted along a plane, from which
the "center of gravity" could be determined? It would be OK if you
calculated it by assuming each player weighs the same (though, if you're
crazy like me, you'd be awfully tempted to use the players' actual
weights!).

I'd try to do it myself, but I need to re-tape the bridge of my glasses
again...  ;)

-Indy