From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:03:32 -0500
"Rowe, Thomas" wrote:

> Now that I think about it, having one or a few players from very far away distorts the true picture of what is going on, recruiting-wise.  I wonder if the median distance wouldn't be a better number to use here instead of average.

Tom, here are your median recruit distances for each team (or the average of the two hometowns at the median) and the corresponding hometown(s).  You're gonna have me learning how to use this computer yet.

BTW, another slight extender of average recruiting distance is proximity to a coastline, since schools located there don't get many recruits from that population on their offshore sides.

                   MEDIAN
                  RECRUIT
 TEAM            DISTANCE   MEDIAN HOMETOWN(S)

 Alaska-Fairbanks   1,451 Glendon, AB/Bonnyville, AB
 Alaska-Anchorage   1,430 Drayton Valley, AB/Midway, BC
 Iona               1,336 Notre Dame de Lourdes, MB
 Rensselaer         1,132 Plymouth, MN/Portage LaPrairie, MB
 Nebraska-Omaha     1,096 Calgary, AB
 Quinnipiac         1,060 Apple Valley, MN/Wayzata, MN
 Alabama-Huntsville   924 Nepean, ON
 Colorado College     842 Hermantown, MN
 Denver               838 Madison, WI
 Air Force            815 Medicine Hat, AB/Roseau, MN
 Sacred Heart         760 Highland Park, IL
 Bowling Green        524 Bayside, NY/Mahtomedi, MN
 Mass.-Lowell         467 Kitchener, ON
 Findlay              466 New Hartford, NY/Eyota, MN
 Maine                449 Pembroke, ON/Sewell, NJ
 Lake Superior        442 Kanata, ON/St. Andrews West, ON
 Brown                422 Wolfville, NS/Toronto, ON
 Ohio State           419 Roswell, GA
 Dartmouth            407 Silver Spring, MD
 Harvard              389 Gaithersburg, MD
 Northern Michigan    387 Clinton Twp., MI/Aurora, ON
 Princeton            376 Cleveland, OH/Le Gardeur, QE
 American Int'l       321 St. Nicolas, QE
 Yale                 314 Rockland, ON/Kanata, ON
 Notre Dame           305 St. Louis, MO/Chesterfield, MO
 Union                299 Hannon, ON
 Bemidji State        299 Neepawa, MB/Reston, MB
 North Dakota         293 White Bear Lake, MN/Faribault, MN
 Michigan Tech        289 St. Cloud, MN
 Ferris State         281 Caledon, ON/Brampton, ON
 Western Michigan     278 Brantford, ON
 St. Lawrence         275 Conestoga, ON
 Miami                267 Kenosha, WI
 Northeastern         254 Vestal, NY
 Providence           251 Maple Glen, PA/Massena, NY
 Wayne State          248 Bethel Park, PA/Sault Ste. Marie, ON
 Cornell              245 London, ON
 Boston College       239 Freehold, NJ/Philadelphia, PA
 Boston University    230 Princeton Junction, NJ
 Clarkson             230 King City, ON
 Wisconsin            229 Savage, MN
 Vermont              226 Stratford, CT
 Connecticut          225 Ithaca, NY/Baldwinsville, NY
 Colgate              221 Brampton, ON
 Michigan State       198 New Hamburg, ON/Cheboygan, MI
 Mercyhurst           175 Orillia, ON
 Army                 167 Cassville, NY/North Reading, MA
 New Hampshire        160 Altamont, NY
 Michigan             144 North Street, MI/Glenview, IL
 Minnesota-Duluth     143 Minnetonka, MN
 Fairfield            138 Falmouth, MA/Stoneham, MA
 St. Cloud            137 Bemidji, MN
 Niagara              125 Auburn, NY
 Holy Cross           114 Clifton Park, NY/Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
 MSU-Mankato           87 Lino Lakes, MN/Forest Lake, MN
 Bentley               86 East Hampton, CT
 Massachusetts         73 Canton, MA/Medford, MA
 Canisius              71 Branford, ON
 Merrimack             69 Marion, MA
 Minnesota             24 Ramsey, MN/Hastings, MN

Bob Griebel