From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:16:35 -0500
Ralph N Baer wrote:

>  I notice that some schools have a minimum distance of 1
> mile and a couple are 0 miles.  How did this happen?  You didn't
actually
> look up the players home addresses when they live in the same town as
the
> college, did you?

Ralph, I'd claim I visited each player's home personally if I thought
you wouldn't see through it.  The short minimums (eg 1-4 miles) for
players living in their university towns represent the distance between
the published coordinates for the city (probably city center or city
hall) and the actual location of the university rink that I identified
specifically from mapping software.   I'm surprised some were zero, even
when rounded.

City coordinates can be from any of several sources, which aren't
necessarily consistent.   Most US coordinates are from the Census
Bureau.  Canada has a different agency.  The fact that many places are
included in downloadable files makes this less than a lifetime project.

> > John, I finally found coordinates for 150 Mile House, 15 miles
> > east of where I'd
> > put it, 13 miles east of Williams Lake and (wait for this) 40
> > miles northwest of
> > 100 Mile House.
> >
> > Bob Griebel
>
> Bob, the 50 miles posted earlier is nearly correct although the road
> distance is not exactly the same as the air distance. (Or are you
using
> nautical miles?) 150 Mile House is also just about 80 miles north of
70 Mile
> House.  IIRC, and there is probably someone on the list who actually
knows,
> these mileages are all from Lilooet, BC.

The distances are "air distances" in statutory miles, not road
distances, computed using radians to account for the earth's curvature.
They assume that "as the crow flies" means "right through the middle of
mountains".  Radian formulas work with decimal equivalents of degrees
latitude and longitude to produce a nautical mile (6,017 feet) result,
which is then converted to a statutory mile result (5,280 feet).

You can try this exercise for 150 Mile House.  You'll find coordinates
for all the Mile Houses at
http://www.gdbc.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg05_by_name .  Enter these for 100
MH and 150 MH in Bali's "How Far Is It? web page at
http://www.indo.com/cgi-bin/dist  and see what you get:

100 Mile House: 51:39:00N 121:17:00W
150 Mile House: 52:07:00N 121:51:00W

That should return a statutory distance of 40 miles at a bearing of 323
degrees (northwest).   My formula produces about a 10-mile difference
from that web site's result for the longest-traveling player at 5, 400+.

Anyone see any interest/usefulness in doing this exercise for other than
D-I men?

Bob Griebel