From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:58:28 -0600
> Didn't some part of last week's history lesson mention the red line was
> invented to give the old guys a chance to keep up with the young guys
> during
> the war and to hold Rocket Richard to 50 goals?  Could it be that someone
> just
> needs to point out the war is over?

Well, Herbie sure knows that the war is over...

Herb Brooks verbally spars with German coach
Published Feb 19, 2002

The theme of the Winter Olympic Games is "Light the Fire Within." Team USA
hockey coach Herb Brooks certainly lit a fire Monday when reacting to
comments made by German coach Hans Zach.

Following Germany's 3-2 loss to Canada on Sunday, Zach was asked why he
didn't pull his goalie in search of the tying goal. Zach said he didn't want
to damage his team's confidence by giving up an empty-net goal after such a
gritty effort. Then he suggested that the Germans would rather finish last
in the Group C pool and, thus, play the United States in Wednesday's
quarterfinals.

Brooks, though, didn't understand or agree with Zach's thinking.

"Maybe that's why they lost the second World War," Brooks said. "So there,
I'll draw a line in the sand. Now you can take that and write it."

-Indy