From:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:30:31 -0500
Happy Holidays to all!!

The final USA Olympic team will be announced this weekend.  I am praying that aging legs can find some oomph for 10 days in Salt Lake, but I am not optimistic.

However, let us (mythically) return to the days of yesteryear, when collegians made up the bulk of the USA Olympic team.  Who would you put on the team??

Some criteria:  They need to (or should have) graduated in 2000, 2001, or are currently enrolled in college.  Let's try to pick the best 9 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies.

So here are some of my quick musings:

Goalies:  Ryan Miller and Ricky DiPietro (his puck handling may start the offense)

Forwards: Brian Gionta, Jeff Panzer, Andy Hilbert

I draw a blank on the blueline corps.  Orpik comes to mind, but is he quick enough for 100' wide ice???

Anyway, have fun and if we had Strat-O-Matic hockey, we could test out our team vs. the current team.

Joe LaCour
Clarkson