From:
Andy Wallenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1992 16:51:11 LCL
                                                                     4:36 PM
  OFFICE MEMO                                                 Time:
                      Subject:
                      Cornell-Union

   I hope this will be the last clarification, addition, whatever I write about
the Cornell-Union game that did in fact take place almost two months ago...
   Tom Tseng wrote that the Union ushers he came in contact with were fine, and
warned them about the newspaper.  I'm sure that most of the Union ushers were
fine--but not the one I'm talking about.
   The group of Cornell fans I was sitting with (the main block of fans, I
believe) were seated behind the net Cornell would shoot at twice.  We were
behind protective netting, so the issue of throwing paper on the ice was a
non-issue--it couldn't be done.  No usher came to warn us of anything.  After
we did the newspaper thing, this one usher came charging over to us, and
started SCREAMING that he was going to start throwing people out of the rink.
We were slightly perplexed, and didn't know what he was referring to, until he
started screaming at us to "pick up the paper."  At least 100 people must have
thrown paper, yet he was yelling at us that unless it got picked up, he was
going to start throwing people out at random, whether they were responsible for
throwing paper or not.  (Obviously he had no idea who had thrown paper, and who
had not).  Not wanting to see anyone thrown out, the entire row I was sitting
in (which was also the row our friendly usher had planted himself in front of)
got up and picked up the newspaper.
    I should state that I think the usher had every right to ask us to pick up
the paper--my problem is with the way it was done.  He was quite visibly angry
from the start.  After he left, the people around me were discussing him, and
what his "problem" might be, and someone offered that they had seen him shaking
his head, looking angry when we had "sang" RED during the national anthem.
Again, while I can undertand this, I can't condone it as the way a professional
usher should behave.  We may have been slightly out of line, but he was WAY,
WAY out of line.