From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 22:43:25 -0400
Congrats to the national champions from North Dakota!

Here's my theory on the TV coverage. It's the same coverage that they do for
the NHL broadcasts on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC. Focus on the star players to the
exception of everyone else. Period. End of coverage. It's not Pittsburgh
versus Philadelphia, it's Jaromir versus Eric. It's not BC versus St.
Lawrence, it's Mottau, Farkas, Bellefeuille, Gionta, and Clemensen versus
who exactly? Now, as fans of the college game, we all know that the
superstars are rarely the difference. It's the whole combination of team
play, but we can't expect ESPN to change the way they cover sports to fit
college hockey.

The Saturday coverage was much of the same, except that they could pump
Goren alongside the BC stars. And this strategy paid off (just as it did
with BC stars scoring the goals on Thursday) with Goren's play in the third
period. Quite a coincidence that Goren was the star in Providence, where
he'll likely be playing the next two years for the Providence Bruins.

Should we start to talk about a Hobey Baker jinx? Or is it simply the case
that the guy who wins the Hobey Baker is doing too much for his team and
therefore will be beat by another team that emphasizes contributions from
all of its skaters?

And finally, this BU fan has to admit that he spent the final minute of the
game in front of his TV set chanting "Nineteen Forty-Nine" in honor of BC's
last national title. I have nothing against the BC players, but I did not
want to listen to the BC alums all summer. So, oddly enough, the most
talented team in college hockey finishes the season as perennial
bridesmaids, losing the Beanpot, Hockey East, and National Finals, and only
third in Hockey East.