Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 09:14:35 -0600
At 11:35 AM 4/3/00 -0500, Carol S. White wrote:
>I take great offense at your statement about selling tickets here on
>Hockey-L!

I'm curious as to why you'd be personally offended (and greatly, at that).
If you were among those selling a set of 4 tickets for $2,000-plus, then
whatever offense you feel is your own guilt.

And if you're not trying to make a fast buck -- which I assume you're not,
as you didn't contact us -- then you shouldn't take my statements in a
negative manner.

But for what I say below I'm sure I will receive a large number of flames
and angry messages. That'll be the guilt talking, and that's fine by me.

One last thing -- before I continue, I would like to extend IMMENSE thanks
to those of you that were conscientious enough to sell us your extra
tickets at face value, even being full aware of the going rate. To you we
owe a lifetime of thanks.

> > thanks to the whole ticket fiasco (including the fans-cum-scalpers on
> > Hockey-L who are hawking their seats for thousands per set),
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I think that you should be able to back this up with some facts, I
>myself haven't seen any ads on Hockey-L wanting exhorbitant
>money from fellow list members. Perhaps you saw them on USCHO!

I should have phrased my statement better. I didn't mean to imply that
people are using Hockey-L to sell their tickets at sky-high prices, only to
say that many Hockey-L members are doing so in general.

I would prefer not to go with hard facts (read: names) on this matter, as I
don't want this to turn into another mudslinging flame war.

However, during my group's search for tickets, it was learned that many
Hockey-L members (some frequent posters, some lurkers) were ignoring pleas
from those on the message board (also frequent posters and lurkers) and
instead looking to make as much profit as they could on their unspoken-for
tickets.

We've received direct email messages, been referred to their eBay auctions,
and in other cases referred to their friends. The bottom line has been the
same, that people are looking to profit from of our love of and dedication
to college hockey.

While there's absolutely nothing wrong with that -- it's their prerogative
and for events in Rhode Island, not illegal -- what chaps my hide is that
many of these "fans" looking to make a quick grand or two are the same ones
that have complained in the past about ticket allotment, seat location,
size of arena, host cities, bandwagon fans, you name it.

They all give me the same reason for demanding these high prices, too:
they're not "intentionally" selling them for these high prices, that's just
"what's happening."

Whatever their reason is for having extra tickets, it's a sad reality that
people on this list are more interested in making a buck (ok, a lot of
bucks) than in seeing a tournament attended by true fans.

>In any case, I would hope that if there were *personal* emails to
>you asking for that kind of money, I would encourage you to
>contact the List Administrators about the problem.

Considering we put out repeated requests for tickets, it's not like people
were sending us unsolicited offers. It's also not illegal (thanks, Rhode
Island) to jack the prices, and as these offers were made through private
email not against list policies (as far as I know).

I will do this much however: it will be years before I forget the names of
those Hockey-L members who have profited through others' loss, and if I
EVER see any of these people asking for tickets on Hockey-L in the future,
I will go out of my way to insure they experience the greatest difficulty
and are forced to pay the highest price to obtain tickets. And if I happen
to have extra tickets, they certainly won't be getting them.

And oh yes, I will have a good, hard laugh too.

greenie

ps: As for our group, we simply put our noses to the grindstone and worked
every angle we could, some of which you wouldn't believe we tried. End
result is that we now seem to be in fine shape for both of the semifinals
and are just a few tickets short of the final. And SLU-Nodak championship
oughtta fix that.

S P O O N  ! !
(go Saints & Sioux)