From:
"Robert E. Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert E. Jacobs
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:47:32 -0500
Not to be rude, but this is all rather pointless; do you know what was
*really* amusing? During the selection show when the head of the
selection committee said that they're looking forward to the day when
they expand to 16 teams, so there won't be controversy amongst the
bubble teams. Guess again. The bubble is immortal; b-ball's expansion to
64 teams certainly didn't eliminate it.

The fact is, right or wrong, Niagara more than justified the committees
decision, and for that, any criticism of that decision is out of bounds.
Sure, plenty of teams COULD have duplicated Niagara's performance in
the playoffs, but let's face it, that's unfairly raising the bar. Not many
people expected Niagara to advance (or even be *competitive* v. UNH,
for that matter), let alone be down one goal heading into the 3rd against
a well-rested UND team.

We have to judge this pragmatically; maybe the NCAA *did* take a flyer
on Niagara, but it paid off, and now a budding program has a bit of a
legacy to build upon. Good for them.

Unwarranted extrapolations are fun, as long as we sincerely recognize
the accomplishments of those deserving.

No, not a Niagara fan, particularly,

Robert