From:
"Troy D. Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy D. Mills
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 17:37:30 -0600
The Intercollegiate Hockey Alliance (IHA) is a scheduling agreement between
6 D-I independents for the 1999-2000 year.  It isn't really a conference.
Most of these teams would like to get into established conferences and this
agreement aids in getting D-I games on the schedule with the other alliance
teams.  Teams like Bemidji and Ala.-Huntsville had nothing to play for after
the regular season was over this year since they are in their transition
(probationary) period.  The Alliance will give them a shot at a post season
award.  Conference points need to be kept since the top four of the six
advance to a single elimination tourney.

The IHA, unlike the MAAC, will not ask for an automatic berth right away.
These teams want to build up their programs first and make sure they can
compete with the big boys.  Would they turn one down if it was offered?  I
think not.  If the MAAC and the IHA get to the point where they can compete
consistently with the big boys, have the two champions play a play in game
the weekend of the selection.  The IHA can have their conference tourney the
weekend the major conferences have the first round of their tourneys and I
think the MAAC could work something out.  The two winners could then meet
the next weekend, at a site on a rotating basis between the two leagues and
play for the berth.  That's just a pipe dream of mine and probably won't
happen.

People have asked me if they thought this would be a conference in the
future?  I don't think it will due to travel costs.  If it does, would I be
disappointed?  Yes and No.  I would like to see Bemidji in the WCHA with UND
and the other 4 Minnesota schools.  But UAH and BSU have developed a heated
rivalry over the last 5 years (National Title Series have a way of doing
that).

If you get a chance, check out the Alliance Page and the News Page on my web
site.  I have a little more info / articles there.

Troy Mills
Visit the Beaver Pond, the unofficial home for BSU Hockey at
              http://customer.wcta.net/bsuhky
Bemidji State University ('96)
NAIA Hockey Champs:  '68, '69, 70, '71, '73, '79, '80
NCAA D-III Hockey Champs:  '86
NCAA D-II Hockey Champs:  '84, '93, '94, '95, '97
NCAA D-I Hockey Champs:  20??
Runner-ups:  '74, '78, '82, '83, '85, '96, '98
National Participants:  '76, '77, '81, '87, '88, '89