From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1992 12:23:57 EST
I thank Vicky very much for her explanation of what's going on at Ferris.
I suggest that perhaps everyone who wants to, should send Vicky email
([log in to unmask]) and express your views, and make sure to say where
you are writing from.  Maybe she can print out what she receives and send
it on to the appropriate people.

Her point about hockey bringing Ferris national recognition is an excellent
one, I know I had never heard of FSU other than through hockey.  However,
I want to make clear that I don't feel comfortable with suggesting what
the school should do.  Yes, I would like to see something worked out that
will allow hockey to remain, but at the same time I'm not close enough to
have a good handle on what is truly best for the school and all the athletes
there, so I won't presume to make such a suggestion.

But I do agree that national recognition through highly visible sports like
hockey is very beneficial, such that it may benefit the school in the
long run to make an extra effort to maintain it today if possible.  As I
said, I heard of Ferris through hockey, and in hockey-mad areas like New
England, Ferris State is an easily recognizable school name.  I don't know
exactly what DivI hockey has done for Ferris, but I look at schools like
BC which are known primarily by people throughout the country (outside of
New England) for their hockey, football and basketball teams.   But when
people look into BC more closely, after having their interest piqued by that
name recognition from, say, the Doug Flutie era, they find out BC is an
excellent school as well.  Applications and inquiries to BC skyrocketed
during and after Flutie.

Similarly, most of you on this list know Merrimack just from hockey.  There
was a rise in interested students and applications after the team went to
the NC$$ DivI quarterfinals.  Kids looked into the school and found it
not only had a good hockey team, it provided a good education too.  I don't
know how else someone from Minnesota is going to find out about this tiny
school (2,300) that is usually overshadowed by the dozens of other schools
in the Boston area.

Vicky, you can send on any of this if you like.  Best of luck.

- Mike Machnik
  Salem, New Hampshire