From:
Vicky Deur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1992 11:33:07 EST
Here is the scoop on Ferris Hockey from Ferris.

On January 30, 1992 a Blue Ribbon Task report on Sports was issued.
The following  recommendations appeared.

1.  Leave football, basketball, volleyball and HOCKEY - get rid of
    all other sports.  (savings of $576,000)
2.  Leave football, basketball, volleyball - cut HOCKEY and all other
    sports. (savings $896,000)
3.  Cut HOCKEY, X-country, track, swimming - all other sports would be
    kept but no scholarships would be offered. (savings over 1 million)

To say the least the community has been in a uproar every since.
The Blue Line club, high school hockey, junior hockey association, and
the figure skating club have come together to fight for HOCKEY.
One recommendation is to keep the ice arena running for a one to two
year window.
A group of citizens meet with the President of Ferris and presented
facts and figures the will hopefully save the program.

On February 3, 1992 the vice president for Student Affairs recommended
that HOCKEY, X-country, track, and swimming be cut and all other sports
left alone.  Please note this was NOT one of the recommendations of the
Task Force.

The President will make a decision hopefully by February 14, 1992.  Her
decision is then forwarded to the Board of Control for a decision on
February 22, 1992.

This is an emotional issue up here in Big Rapids.  The community is
really joining together.  The businesses are taking a stand.  It is nice
to see, but why should we have to go through this?

I think the administration underestimated the power of the people.  We
won't quite until we have won.  If you would like to write a letter
supporting the hockey program, please do so (address below).  We are
trying to get the university to understand that the HOCKEY programs
brings Ferris national recognization.

Address:
  Board of Control
  Ferris State University