From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1992 10:21:28 EST
It is always interesting to me how cheers get passed along from rink to rink
over time.  It is hard to know, after a while, where a given cheer started
unless you happened to be a fan in the rink where it was first done.   A case
in point might be the Black Hole cheer.  I've heard it done at Yale, RPI, and
Cornell, but it was my understanding that Cornell started doing it after a HE
pep bandie taught it to Cornell's pep band (when HE was still in ECAC.)

The reason I'm bringing this up is because of the Hahrvahrd cheer Mike Machnik
mentioned.  The marching band (and thus the pep band) at Cornell has done a
variant of this cheer for a long time.

"H-A-AHR,H-A-AHR,H-A-AHR,V"
"V-A-AHR,V-A-AHR,V-A-AHR,D"
"HAHRVAHRD,HAHRVAHRD,RAAAAAAH"
"FIGHT FIERCLY, FELLOWS"

AGAIN.
"THAT'S H-A-AHR,H-A-AHR,H-A-AHR,V"
"V-A-AHR,V-A-AHR,V-A-AHR,D"
"KNIT ONE,PEARL TWO, HAHRVAHRD BOYS, YOO-HOO!" (WAVE WHITE HANKEY.)

For those of you who may not have heard the Black Hole cheer.(Since I mentioned
it...)

HEY, (GOALIE'S FIRST NAME), YOU'RE NOT A GOALIE, YOU'RE A SIEVE.
YOU'RE NOT A SIEVE, YOU'RE A FUNNEL!
YOU'RE NOT A FUNNEL, YOU'RE A VACUUM!
YOU'RE NOT A VACUUM, YOU'RE A BLACK HOLE!
YOU'RE NOT A BLACK HOLE (Stand up and point at goalie) YOU JUST SUCK!!!

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95