Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:18:58 -0700

Jerry wrote:

>With the CCHA dominating the NCAAs in the 1990's, I don't understand why the
>pseudo slam on Notre Dame?
[snip]

>With the CCHA sending two teams to the Final Four Last year (MICH and OSU), I
>feel the CCHA is not a league to take for granted.

No slam, psuedo or otherwise, on Notre Dame or the CCHA in my statement.
The CCHA has arguably been the strongest in the 90's.

What I wonder is what kind of chance Notre Dame will have coming *out* of a
conference as strong as the CCHA. In other words, for Notre Dame to climb
to the top they'll have to pass Michigan, MSU, OSU, and others along the
way. It's a tough order.

Think of it this way: Both Michigan and MSU show no signs of slowing down
in the next couple of years. That means 2 teams that will always be strong
contenders for automatic post-season berths. This is not to say that Notre
Dame can't or won't win the CCHA playoffs or regular season any time soon,
only that it will be VERY difficult.

This means a team like Notre Dame's best chances in the immediate future
lie in obtaining and at-large bid. At 10-6-2, Notre Dame is currently on
track to have a good shot at getting one -- but with so many teams in the
CCHA "bottoming out" this year, the RPI advantage that CCHA teams have had
in the past seems to be somewhat lost this season.

On the same token, playing in the CCHA means facing Michigan, MSU and this
season OSU, at least 3 times each -- constituting a big part of the Irish
overall record. An at-large bid means Notre Dame would have to win a good
share of those games, again a tough challenge. And lest I not leave anyone
out, this year in the CCHA one can't forget teams like Northern Michigan
and Ferris State.

Notre Dame may be gearing up for the big time, but before they can be a
respected national contender they'll need to deal with their own
conference. They had a good start to the year, but only twice were they
truly challenged, once each against OSU and Michigan. They topped OSU and
tied Michigan, both games at home. Heading into Grand Forks however they
were on a 4 game losing streak, dropping games to Michigan, Ferris State,
and a pair to OSU. If they're planning on busting out of the CCHA, those
are the opponents they need to beat.

Against their "major" CCHA foes this year (, the Irish are 2-4-2 -- winning
only 25% of those games... and they haven't played MSU yet! Gotta do better
than that, especially in the CCHA. They're currently 6th in the CCHA; if
you don't finish in the top 4 in your conference in the regular season,
you've got a tough road through the playoffs and an even tougher chance
making the post season.

Same thing in Hockey East with teams like Northeastern and UMass-Lowell.
While they've had strong seasons that have fielded good quality teams in
the NCAA tournament, it's very difficult for them to rise to true
prominence, both in-conference as well as nationally, when you've got the
likes of Maine, BU, BC, and in the past few years New Hampshire, to deal with.

UNH was able to make the climb to the top -- but given that BU can't be
counted out for too long, how much room is there in HEA?

Likewise, with MSU and Michigan showing no signs of slowing down, and a
team like OSU on the fast track to success, just how much room is there in
the CCHA? Of course, when you've got Miami and Lake State rounding out the
bottom, that does make things a bit easier <grin>

Which is why I wonder how Notre Dame's program will do. Will they rise up
as one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the CCHA like New Hampshire has, or will
they threaten and stay a fringe team like UMass-Lowell in the early/mid 90's?

greenie