From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 16:01:46 -0400
> how is that she's eligible to play straightaway without having to sit out a
> year as is required for male athletic transfers within the same division ??
> Are the rules for such lateral transfers in women's sports less strict than
> for men ??

The sit out one year for transfers only applies to a few sports (American
football, the Hoops, Men's Ice Hockey, and ... that might be it).

There are a number of people in the women's game very interested in having
a one year sit it out for transfers.  There have and continue to be a
number of transfers each year.  Minnesota is picking up at least three
transfers, but several other schools are also getting transfers.

One of the reasons is that with the increased scholarship/financial aid
money, some players/parents are shopping around between seasons for a
better deal!  Certainly that wasn't the case with W Brodt, who I am sure
would have gone straight to Minnesota if that had been an option (she had
to sit out a year because of an error surrounding an English credit in
high school - BTW the NC$$ eventually ruled in her favor, but it was too
late for that year).

So, yes I think the women's game is more than ready to join the one year
sit out rule for transfers.  It would sure make coaches' jobs a lot
easier, and might cause some focus back on the academic side of things.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf