Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 1992 12:08:42 -0500
Last night, the UWSP Pointers, 3 time defending National Div III champions
(ahem!) defeated the Metalurg team from Russia who have been touring the
central states region to complete a 3 game weekend sweep!!

        Metalurg        1       1       1       -  3
        UWSP            4       1       2       -  7

I went to this game expecting a veritable slaughter by the Russians.  Metalurg
is a Division II team that consistently supplies players to both the Junior
and Senior Olympic team, finished 1st last year in Div II in Russia, and has
finished as high as 3rd in Div I play.  I didn't even take a pen with me (I
didn't want to report the gory details of a rout) so this is all from memory.

Point jumped out to a two goal lead, much to the crowd's surprise and delight.
Metalurg got one back, then we got the next two for a 4-1 lead at the period.
The Russians were unlucky - Todd Chin played his best game of the year in
goal, and they hit at least 3 pipes.  The Russian goalie did not play poorly -
it was my impression that of all the goals, maybe the last two should have
been stopped, but none of the first 8 goals were cheap.

Comments on style of play:  The Russians played typical European style hockey.
They passed the puck a lot, played position with good discipline, were fast
skaters - it was a lot of fun to watch.  How then did we beat them?  What they
*don't* do is attack the puck a lot on defense.  They tend to play their
positions and look to intercept passes.  This meant that we could skate with
the puck more.  Conversely, they didn't do as well on offense as maybe they
normally would - we did an excellent job of attacking the puck and wound up
breaking up a lot of their plays.

One curious thing - on their power play, they didn't place anyone behind the
net and didn't seem to have any desire to skate there either.  On our power
play (we only had a couple) they would let us stand behind their net
while holding on the the puck without molesting us.  This didn't seem like a
very effective strategy to me.

I am surprised (shocked even), delighted and enthused.  Look out Plattsburgh
State - we're coming after our 4th National title!

BTW - on the topic of referees and linesmen, in Div III we have two refs and
one linesman.  It is my understanding that linesmen don't call penalties.
Since the standard in Div I is that you have two linemen and one ref, then
(and correct me if I am wrong) there is only one official to keep track of all
the penalties.  Does this make sense?  Of course not.  That would be like
allowing only the back judge and line judge in football allowed to call
penalties, or only the home plate umpire allowed to call outs.  Why did Div I,
which used to have two refs as standard, go to two linesmen?

Tom Rowe                                [log in to unmask]
Go you Dogs!