From:
Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 14:23:30 -0700
FROM WCCO's Channel 4000-

Hockey Star Chooses Gophers
State's Top High School Puckster Headed to 'U'

Posted 12:55 p.m. August 26, 1997 -- The state's top high school hockey
star once again has chosen the University of Minnesota.

Red Wing senior-to-be Johnny Pohl, who led the state in scoring as a
sophomore and helped the Wingers win the Class A state title as a junior
last season, has picked the Golden Gophers over Colorado College, Notre
Dame, Minnesota-Duluth and St. Cloud State.

"It was a real tough decision, not so much because I don't know where to
go," Pohl said after making his decision Monday. "I ouldn't lose no
matter where I went. What it came down to was I just wanted to stay
close to home."

Pohl, a first-team All-State center last season, has 271 points during
his three varsity seasons. He will split his senior year between the St.
Paul Vulcans of the USHL and his high school team, which he will rejoin
Nov. 1.

Signing Pohl continues the Gophers' success in landing the state's
leading prep players. His decision comes within days of the decisions by
Minnesota stars Erik Rasmussen and Mike Crowley to accept pro contracts
for the upcoming season.

"We rate guys as ones, twos or threes, (with) ones being the kind of
guys who can affect your program, kill penalties, play on the power
plays," coach Doug Woog said. "We consider him a one, even though he may
be a two for a year. It's a little more about survival and competing
during that freshman year."
--
            \\\/////
            / ^   _ \