From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:09:57 -0500
Mike Farrell wrote:

>     If a team is taking a chance on a goalie (especially a goalie moreso
>than any other position) in the first or second round, it is doubtful they
>will want to wait until 1999 to see him play regularly, and certainly not
>playing "weekend hockey" as many of the scouts call the college game. I'm a
>huge college hockey fan and love the game, but the fact is that NHL brass
>would like to see these kids play a 70 game schedule or so before the age of
>20 so they can become somewhat accustomed to the NHL grind. A propsect hoping
>for an NHL future would be wise to head to the OHL or WHL, because that's
>where the scouts would like to see them. A prospect hoping to mature as a
>regular 18 or 19 year old in a college environment would choose college where
>he can also get a college education.
>    I think the NCAA should loook into extending their schedule and making
>the college hockey season consist of 60-70 or so games, to be played on a
>rotating schedule like Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Monday, Wednesday,
>Friday or college hockey will continue to lose the top kids to the OHL and
>WHL-Of course if such a change were to be made, the # of hockey scholarships
>would have to be increased and we all know that wouldn't happen. There has to
>be some sort of solution so we can keep the best American kids (and Canadian
>kids interested in  US college hockey) in the NCAA. I'm tired of seeing the
>Paul Mara's, Bryan Berard's, Brian Boucher's, Jeff Jillson's and all the
>others jump to the OHL and WHL mainly because they are allowed to enter the
>draft earlier and will get more looks from NHL teams.I know this will cause
>alot of controversy on these channels, but what else do we have to talk about
>during June right? Let's here some suggestions, because the problem of losing
>kids to the OHL and WHL is just beginning and things could get worse in the
>coming years.
>Mike Farrell
>New England College Hockey Insider
>www.newenglandinsider.com

        I understand your frustration at seeing players opt for juniors
rather than U.S. colleges. However, playing 60-70 games annually on a
Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday or Monday-Wednesday-Friday basis would probably
have a horrendous effect on athletes' performance in school. In the east,
where there are many schools close together, it's easier to play on a night
during the week. In the west, where most or all of the series' are played
on weekends, I think it wouldn't work at all. Most hockey players who
attend college don't make the NHL, and while it's great to see those who
do, it's important that they do well in school and earn their degree, if
they want to do something else after college.
        Also, I don't think there would be any move towards raising the
number of scholarships. I can't see hockey getting into a situation where
there are more scholarships than players who will dress. Raising expenses
(by raising the number of scholarships) is not likely to be popular. And,
given the current climate, increasing scholarships in a men's sport would
probably not be passed at an NCAA Convention.

Dave Geringer
Sports Information Director
Bemidji State University
213 PE Complex, 1500 Birchmont Drive, NE
Bemidji, MN 56601
218-755-2763 (office), 218-755-3898 (fax)