From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:14:56 -0600
Richard Hungerford writes:

>Well, I've been trying to get some 1997-1998 ECAC Women's League schedules
>and have found out that this coming season some of the women's games will
>happen on Friday and Saturday night, just before the men's games.  For
>example, Northeastern Women may be playing PC Women at 4:00 pm on Friday
>in ECAC League action and Northeastern Men would follow against PC Men at
>7:00 pm in a Hockey East match.  I guess it is a good idea to try to
>expose more fans to the women's game.  Personally I can't see wanting to
>go to that many doubleheaders.  We shall see!

        I think that even the Saturday and Sunday afternoon games
would draw better if coordinated to happen the weekends of men's
games.  In particular, I wish the St. Lawrence women's team had been
playing the Saturday afternoon between the Cornell-SLU and
Cornell-Clarkson men's games.  It would have alleviated the
mind-numbing boredom of a Saturday in Potsdam and Canton.  OTOH, if
they had been playing at 4 that afternoon, right before the
Colgate-SLU game, I wouldn't have had time to get back to Potsdam in
time for the Cornell-Clarkson game.  So in that case a 2:00 game would
have been better than 5:00.  Okay, so the geographical situation at
Clarkson/St. Lawrence is unusual, but still, I would rather see a
2:00/7:00 doubleheader and have a chance to get dinner in between.

>The other news is that the ECAC Women's Championship (final four) may be
>held in Lake Placid along with the ECAC Men.

        Gee, I wonder how they'd schedule it.  Currently the ECAC men
have their consolation game at 1pm Saturday and championship at 4.
Would they scrap the consolation game, like when they held the ECAC
and HE championships together at HockeyFest?

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
        <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/jshock.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions