From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 05:13:56 EST
This year RPI's top two goalies are both Freshmen.  The team is doing
much better than most of us fans expected.  The last time that I can
recall that RPI's top two goalies were both Frosh was in 83-84 with
Puppa and Jopling.  This team won the ECAC championship, both regular
season and playoff.  The only other instances that I can recall where
a team's top two goalies were Freshmen were in Harvard.  I don't remember
the years, but they were about 88-89 and 92-93.  In both of these years
Harvard performed well.  (Well, I guess that in Mass-Amherst's first
year, both goalies were Frosh.)

I think that the prevailing wisdom is that a goalie either plays as
a backup for a year or two, or in some cases a single Freshmen
goaltender is able to unseat a veteran.  What I am wondering is, are
there any other instances of a team's top two goaltenders being freshmen
and how did that team perform?  Do people think that recruiting a new
goaltender corps every four years makes sense?

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74