From:
Donovan D Verrill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donovan D Verrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 15:32:13 -0600
On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Carol S White wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Tim Marchio / A Shift Lead Operator wrote:
>
> > I HEARD THERE WAS BENCH CLEARING BRAWL AT THE END OF THE SAT GAME.
> > IF THIS IS TRUE  IS ANYBODY KICKEDOUT FOR NEXT WEEK
> >
> There was NO BRAWL.  In fact if Jason Blake, (who had an outstanding
> weekend for UND) hadn't gone over to the Visitor's bench and taunted the
> entire Gopher team there wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Jason did not go to the visitors bench, in fact.  The Gophers all
congregated around Aaron Schweitzer and started cross checking and
pushing.  It is the Gophers that need to learn some manners here.

I was at both games, and I must say I've never seen a team play so cheap
in my life.  While I was at Maine, I got to see the Gophers a few times,
and they were always a class act.  That is simply not the case any
longer.  Both games were full of cheap hits, the majority by Gophers, esp
Resmussen.  Blake was being mugged both nights.  Gophers players were
yapping at him after the game, so he decided to point at the scoreboard
and remind them who had won.  I think he earned that right.

If the Gophers had simply gone to their end of the ice instead of heading
to UND's end, the game would have ended peacefully.

> The Sioux played *very* well and deserved to win both games. Dean Blais
> has done a great job with that team. Now, if he could teach some of his
> players to be gracious winners....

And Woog should teach some of his players how to play with integrity.
Hits after the whistle, high sticks, and all that other crap has got to go.

I apologize for the soapbox, but like I said, the Gophers used to be a
class act, now they seem to be nothing but a bunch of thugs, Rasmussen
and Hankinson being the worst of the bunch.  I'm all for a good clean
game.  I also enjoy seeing a big guy use his size to deliver good, clean
checks.  Rasmussen didn't carry his stick beloew his chest the whole weekend.

As for Blake's "yappin", believe me, the Gophers were doing more than
their fair share of that as well.

Donovan Verrill                                 [log in to unmask]