From:
Kelley Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelley Brooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 14:02:02 -0500
>Karl Schmidt wrote about concussions:
>
>> Sounds like the issue is being recognized and addressed,        anyway.
>
>I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer today that several NFL and other
>physicians are beginning a study of concussions and the recovery from
>them.  The article cited the repeated concussions suffered by Brett
>Lindros, and the severe concussion Paul Coffey suffered earlier this
>season.
>
>Several NFL and NHL players were quoted as saying this study is long
>overdue.
>
>The medical industry apparently has no standards for recovery periods.
>The study will use 3 tests to begin to measure recovery:  first is the
>standard "who are you and what city are you in" questions on the
>sideline; second, after 24 hours, some motor skills are tested and more
>difficult (i.e., problem solving) questions will be asked; and third, at
>another time, an MRI-type test will be performed.
>
>I wonder if, in addition to helmet testing, they'll test the value of
>the plastic mouthguard?
>
>Jill Maser
>Indepenently owned and operated.
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Sorry to stick my two cents in again, but I'd like to say that there have been
many studies done on concussions in sport.  Also there are standards to judge
recovery time.  There are several and they all err on the side of
conservativism.  The first test listed my Jill was not a test of recovery but
one of assessing a head injury and it's severity.  And my final point is that
there has been many testing done on helmets and mouthgaurds.  I am in favor of
improvements on design on hockey hemets especially.  But, concussions are an
inherent danger in any collision activity.  It doesn't matter if it's in
baseball at the plate or between two hockey players.  Often at the college
level hockey helmets are worn improperly anyway and the mouthgaurd issue is
just recently being enforced.  Thank you for your time.

Brooke George Kelley
U.S. Military Academy at West Point