From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 10:23:00 PST
This is a difficult note to post because I'm almost certain much of the
response will be personal rather than dealing with the substance of the
message.
That tends to happen too often on this list, and I believe it has
discouraged members from participating on issues or even posting game
analysis because someone doesn't like the tone or nature of an personal
observation.
For about 10 years, I had the pleasure of watching Michigan State hockey,
the CCHA, and other teams as the opportunity permitted.
I've been watching college hockey since 1966, when I saw Michigan State
defeat Wisconsin, 3-1, in the Milwaukee Arena. It was the year before Bob
Johnson took over at Wisconsin. They used barrels to make ice between
periods! I was hooked from that time on.
So, having left Lansing for the Washington D.C. area in 1995, I had to give
up something I truly love.
One of the great consolations has been HOCKEY-L, especially the game reports
(whether I liked the tone or not) that night or the next day.
This is my third year on the list. I noticed a decline in those reports last
year (BU, Minnesota, Cornell, Michigan, Bowling Green, for example, remained
strong), and this year that trend has continued.
To speak to my own wants and needs: MSU defeated Bowling Green and Michigan,
the Nos. 1 and 3 teams in the country, this past weekend, and there is
hardly a word on the list.
Maybe that's the MSU members fault. As I said before, G.M. Finness is sorely
missed.
But BG and Michigan have always been strong on this list. Even when BG would
go on a losing streak, the posts were always there. Michigan hasn't been on
a losing streak, it seems like, in a decade.
But the list is quiet.
Maybe I'm just preaching to the choir here. Maybe the folks who did the
posting or might do the posting just aren't here. I can't remember a strong
Western Michigan or Yale report, for example, on the list.
But I miss these reports. Maybe no one else out there cares.
I just thought I'd express my sadness, because I do care.
HOCKEY-L has been a great list.
I hope it can remain so, for the good of college hockey.
Thanks for listening.
Steve Klein
Fairfax, VA