From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:05:00 PST
No argument with Paula about ESPN/ESPN2's poor quality of coverage when they
do cover college hockey.
The NCAA coverage last season was insulting; on that we all seem to agree.
Only Tom Mees' presense made it digestable. Oh yeah -- and the action
itself.
The production quality, in terms of of homework done or special features,
was non-existant.
The best "extra" the network provided was the Bonin interview.
But given the return ESPN likely receives from college hockey, you almost
can't blame them. Fault them, yes, for poor quality, but not blame them? No.
There's just no real money in it for them.
College hockey may have an intense audience, but it doesn't have a major
revenue attracting audience, as my good friends at uscollegehockey.com are
discovering as they pursue advertising for their excellent site.
There is college hockey available on cable on regional networks.
If college hockey fans want it, they're just going to have to pay the
freight to receive it on NESM, Midwest Sports Channel, Prime, etc. if they
live in the local viewing area -- or buy a dish.
Like the spoiled newspaper readers we all are (or were), we keep expecting a
lot for a quarter.
The information and entertainment is out there -- in special publications,
on cable, on the Internet -- but it costs. You want it, you gotta pay for
it.

An additional point: Where is everyone on HOCKEY-L this year? Where are the
excellent game reports from ALL around college hockey that frequented this
list two years and began to decline last year. WHERE IS JOHN H.? Who is
going to replace the excellent reports G.M. Finness used to provide from
Michigan State.

Steve Klein

(Aside to Paula Weston: Adam enjoyed taking your class!)